Life in Grenoble
Photo acknowledgement GRELIBRE
Grenoble is a dynamic and modern city with a total population of around 530,000 inhabitants. It boasts several universities and numerous professional schools of prestige, with an overall student population of 60,000. The City boasts extensive and ever expanding research facilities, a vibrant lead in the European semiconductor, IT, high-tech and nanotech industries as well as a diverse and active expatriate community.
Grenoble is surrounded by stunning alpine countryside with easy access to downhill, cross country and mountaineer skiing, rock climbing, hiking, mountain biking, paragliding and much more. Grenoble is not far from Italy, Switzerland, and the Mediterranean coast and provides an ideal base for exploring Europe.
A list of resources in the Grenoble area for expatriates
- Active Adaptation Counseling: English language counseling services, especially for families in transition.
- American Chamber of Commerce: National site
- American Club of Lyon The American club of Lyon, founded by and for American expatriates.
- Anglo-Info French Alps: “Life in the French Alps, in English”. A helpful resource, for information from movie times to English-speaking plumbers.
- Answers.com page on Grenoble: its history, links to companies etc.
- Council of International Schools, CIS
- Comme une Francais: A witty site full of handy tips for living in Grenoble. The author lives in Grenoble.
- Communication Cafe: A non-profit association offering English lessons and activities for native English-speaking children, starting from age three.
- English-Speaking Church of Grenoble (St Marc’s): an Anglican based English language church.
- France Etats-Unis: An association dedicated to the better understanding of the French and American cultures.
- French Entry: Resources about life in France.
- Grenoble Life: An English language blog about life, resources and activities in Grenoble.
- Houille Blanche: the elementary French public school (serving first through 5th grade) with an English and German section.
- International Church of Grenoble: An international church with services in French and English.
- Maison de Tourisme: The official website for the Grenoble Tourism office. In English.
- Open House: An English-speaking cultural association for expats and their families. A wide range of activities. Covers the Isère region.
- Psychotherapy and counselling in English
- Semitag: The offical website for the Grenoble public transport entity. In French.
- SOS Help: A listening service in English, from 3pm to 11pm daily.
- The Cake Shop: English/American style bakery
- The Connexion: French news in English.
- United States Consulate Post in Lyon: United States Consulate Post in Lyon
- United States Embassy: The website for the US embassy in Paris. The American Presence Post (APP) in Lyon is the closest US government presence to Grenoble.
- Floodlight Theatre Group: Floodlight Theatre in English. Open to all budding actors, theatre designers of all ages.
- Working Women’s Network of Grenoble (WWNG): A networking association for English speaking professional women, living or working in the Grenoble area.